Excelsior College Examinations/UExcel®
Earn College Credit Through Saylor.org/Excelsior College Partnership
With the launching of this partnership, students can earn college credit by using Saylor courses to help them prepare for the nationally recognized Excelsior College Examinations (ECE) and UExcel programs, credit-by-examination programs recognized by the American Council on Education (ACE). Students who earn credit by using ECEs and UExcel exams may apply the credit earned toward an Excelsior degree program pathway or transfer the credit to more than 2,500 accredited institutions across the US.
How it works for Students
The Saylor Foundation and Excelsior have matched Saylor.org courses with ECE content guides. This means that if you successfully work through one of the aligned Saylor courses, you will be prepared to pass the Excelsior College and UExcel exams and earn college credit on an official transcript from Excelsior College. Saylor students will pay only $95 to take an exam. Students who successfully pass exams will earn between 3 and 6 Credit Hours if they enroll with Excelsior. For students interested in applying credit elsewhere, the ACE-recommended credit will be awarded on transcripts. Thousands of additional colleges and universities accept credit-by-examination as transfer credit. Click here to see a list of colleges and universities that consider ACE recommended transfer credit. Excelsior College offers two types of credit-by-exam options:
- ECE Examinations, which can be scheduled directly through Excelsior.
- UExcel exams, which have been developed by Excelsior in collaboration with Pearson.
We will put a notice on any of our courses which are aligned to an ECE or UExcel exam, as well as the relevant Excelsior College course/exam information, to ensure that students register for the proper test. Excelsior offers practice tests for registered students and you can also use Saylor.org Final Exams to prepare before taking your for-credit ECE/UExcel exam. (note: additional fees apply for ECE/UExcel practice exams).
- ECE Examinations:
- If you’ve previously created your Excelsior account, and understand the exam registration procedures, you can register for your ECE exam here.
- For complete instructions on how to register for an ECE exam, view the partnership page on Excelsior’s site, or follow the steps on this guide.
- ECE exams are administered at Pearson VUE Testing Centers, which are located all across the world. To find the nearest testing center which offers ECE exams, go here.
- UExcel Exams:
Courses Currently Aligned to Excelsior or UExcel Exams:
- MA101-EXC: Single-Variable Calculus I. Aligned to UExcel Exam MA150 Calculus.
- PSYCH101-EXC: Introduction to Psychology. Being aligned to UExcel Exam PSY101 Introduction to Psychology.
We are currently in the process of fully aligning the following courses to exams:
- ECON101: Introduction to Microeconomics. Being aligned to ECE Exam Introduction to Microeconomics (257).
- ECON102: Introduction to Macroeconomics. Being aligned to ECE Exam Introduction to Macroeconomics (258).
- ENGL001: English Composition 1. Being aligned to UExcel Exam ENGL110 College Writing.
About Excelsior College
Excelsior College http://www.excelsior.edu is a regionally accredited, nonprofit distance learning institution that focuses on removing obstacles to the educational goals of adult learners. Founded in 1971 and located in Albany, NY, Excelsior is a proven leader in the assessment and validation of student knowledge. It offers more efficient and affordable access to degree completion through multiple avenues: its own online courses, and the acceptance in transfer of credit from other colleges and universities as well as recognized corporate and military training programs. It currently offers more than 60 different degree programs in the fields of nursing, business, technology, liberal arts, and health science. Excelsior has been continuously accredited since 1977 by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education.
Specific questions about this partnership should be directed to:
Phone: (202) 333 – 4006
1000 Wisconsin Avenue N.W., Suite 220, Washington, DC 20005