Earn College Credit Through Saylor.org/Excelsior College Partnership
With the launching of this partnership, students can earn college credit by using Saylor courses to help them prepare for the nationally recognized Excelsior College UExcel Examinations, a credit-by-examination program recognized by the American Council on Education (ACE). Students who earn credit by using UExcel exams may apply the credit earned toward an Excelsior degree program pathway or transfer the credit to more than 2,500 accredited institutions across the US.
Courses Currently Aligned to Excelsior College Exams:
- ECON102-EXC: Introduction to Macroeconomics. Aligned to UExcel Exam ECOX-262: Introduction to Macroeconomics.
- MA101-EXC: Single-Variable Calculus I. Aligned to UExcel Exam MATX-150: Calculus.
- PSYCH101-EXC: Introduction to Psychology. Aligned to UExcel Exam PSYX-101: Introduction to Psychology.
How it works for Students
The Saylor Foundation and Excelsior have matched the above Saylor.org courses with UExcel content guides. This means that if you successfully work through one of the aligned Saylor courses, you will be prepared to pass the Excelsior College exams and earn college credit on an official transcript from Excelsior College. Saylor students will pay only $95 to take an exam. Students who successfully pass exams will earn between 3 and 6 Credit Hours if they enroll with Excelsior. For students interested in applying credit elsewhere, the ACE-recommended credit will be awarded on transcripts. Thousands of additional colleges and universities accept credit-by-examination as transfer credit. Click here to see a list of colleges and universities that consider ACE recommended transfer credit.
We will put a notice on any of our courses which are aligned to an Excelsior College exam, as well as the relevant Excelsior College course/exam information, to ensure that students register for the proper test. Excelsior offers practice tests for registered students and you can also use Saylor.org Final Exams to prepare before taking your for-credit Excelsior College exam. (note: additional fees apply for Excelsior practice exams).
- Excelsior Exam Registration:
- If you’ve previously created your Excelsior account, and understand the exam registration procedures, you can register for your UExcel exam here.
- For complete instructions on how to register for an Excelsior exam, view the partnership page on Excelsior’s site, or follow the steps on this guide.
- Excelsior exams are administered at Pearson VUE Testing Centers, which are located all across the world. To find the nearest testing center which offers Excelsior exams, go here.
About Excelsior College
Excelsior College is a regionally accredited, nonprofit distance learning institution that focuses on removing obstacles to the educational goals of adult learners. Founded in 1971 and located in Albany, NY, Excelsior is a proven leader in the assessment and validation of student knowledge. It offers more efficient and affordable access to degree completion through multiple avenues: its own online courses, and the acceptance in transfer of credit from other colleges and universities as well as recognized corporate and military training programs. It currently offers more than 60 different degree programs in the fields of nursing, business, technology, liberal arts, and health science. Excelsior has been continuously accredited since 1977 by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education.