If you have used our discussion forums, you may have mixed feelings about them. We certainly do. Some forums are very active, while others are very quiet. Flagging spammers and managing your notifications is difficult. Getting someone’s attention, to say nothing of getting a staff member’s attention, can feel like hitting the jackpot.
We would like to make a change, and you are invited to pioneer the replacement we have in mind. It is called Discourse and you can learn more about it here.
New software is not the solution to any problems and inefficiencies in our community, but it can be a very significant part of the solution. Our hope is that this software will better support those who have the most investment in the community as well as those, including staff, who have had a hard time keeping up.
Important note: no matter how we replace the current forums, they will be publicly archived and searchable — that history, with its may contributions, will not disappear.
Open Evaluation Period
As of right now, we invite you to create an account in the new forums, look around, and make posts. We would also love your feedback about what worked – or did not work – in the existing forums in addition to thoughts you have on the proposed new forums.
Dive Right In!
Here is what to do:
- Visit http://discourse.saylor.org
- Click the “Sign Up” link near the top right of the screen. Your existing login information for Saylor Academy will not work – you will have to create a new account. It would be best to use the same email address that you already use for Saylor Academy, though.
- Read the welcome message or go right to this post to get oriented.
What to expect
If all goes well, we will move forward according to this (very rough) schedule:
- 12 January to 25 January – open evaluation period
- 26 January to 08 February – notification of impending freeze on current forums
- 09 February – activity freeze on current forums – no new users or posts; content will be publicly archived and searchable.
- 11 February – Grand re-opening; new forums are live!