In-person proctoring is an alternative for students who cannot use ProctorU.
Students should read all sections of this page before contacting their proctor. Answers to common questions about in-person proctoring can be found in our help center.
This page contains:
Instructions for students
(If you already have a previously-approved proctor and just need to schedule a new exam, skip to step 5. Your proctor does not need to fill out a new request.)
- Find a willing and qualified proctor (see details on who can be a proctor below).
- Share this page with your proctor; they must complete the steps in the Instructions for proctors section below.
- We will let you know if your proctor request has been approved or declined.
- Once approved, arrange a time and place with your proctor to take your exam.
- Fill out our exam schedule form.
- We will contact your proctor with details for your exam(s).
- On your test day, be ready to provide your proctor with a photo ID to confirm your identity.
Before your test day, we recommend that you:
- review the Saylor Direct Credit page and related help center resources, and let us know your questions.
- contact your proctor to confirm your appointment and to be sure your proctor has received exam details from us.
- read the notes on the credit exam launch page in your course(s).
Instructions for proctors
Who can be a proctor?
Proctors must represent a testing center or established exam services (a university testing center, a public library with proctoring services, official military education services, etc.).
Proctors must be impartial, with no close connections to the student.
Examples of close connections that would make a person ineligible to serve as a proctor include: a student’s friend, relative, guardian, neighbor, roommate, supervisor, co-worker, business partner, client, teacher, tutor, or coach.
Please note that while we strive to accommodate students, we will will err on the side of exam security and may decline a proctor request for any reason, with or without explanation.
To serve as an exam proctor for a Saylor Academy student, complete these steps:
- Review our proctoring requirements below.
- Fill out the short proctor application form.
- Once approved, we will ask the student to schedule an exam appointment with you and let us know the exam and date.
- We will send you access details for the exam, along with a reminder of the proctoring requirements and a copy of the Proctor Responsibility Form.
- Once the exam is complete, fill out and return the Proctor Responsibility Form.
A proctor must be impartial, with no close personal or professional connections to the student, and must serve in a professional capacity representing a testing center or established exam services.
A proctor must also be willing and able to:
- confirm their identity to Saylor Academy.
- provide a suitable and secure testing environment.
- confirm the student’s identity by checking photo ID.
- keep exam passwords and materials secure and confidential.
- ensure the student uses only permitted resources: blank paper for all exams as well as any resources specified on an exam’s entry page. The student must put away cell phones and any other materials not specifically permitted for the duration of the exam. The student should not visit any webpages or use any software not specifically permitted.
- frequently monitor student during the exam to ensure they are completing the exam according to guidelines.
- notify Saylor Academy of technical difficulties, integrity concerns, or other issues that occur.
- fill out and return a Proctor Responsibility Form for each exam session.
To schedule exams, please use the scheduling form.
For answers to frequent questions, see our help center.
Address any other questions to:
Director of Student Affairs