Communications and Support Assistant
Saylor Academy, a pioneer in open online education, is looking for a charismatic communicator to help connect the Academy with our worldwide community of students, primarily adult learners.
Our current focuses include tuition-free college level courses that can earn transfer credit at colleges and universities, education for career advancement, and employer- and school-sponsored learning programs.
In our office you won’t be just another cog in the machine: we are a small team where you can offer a unique and lasting contribution while getting the full picture of what we do. If you like helping people, solving problems, and are keen to learn new perspectives in higher education and lifelong learning, this job’s for you.
As Communications and Support Assistant, you will help represent Saylor Academy to students and our wider communities, ensuring a two-way flow of timely and useful feedback.
We are a looking for a strong communicator – someone who can readily engage with others through chat, email, blog posts, in print, and even occasionally in person.
This is a “customer service” role – except by “customer”, we mean students and others the world over, and by “service”, we mean help to maintain a professional, responsive, open, warm, and reliable public persona for our organization.
This is also a marketing communications role – you will work with our small marketing and communications team on outgoing as well as incoming communications across our blog, support resources, email, social media, forums, etc.
In both routine and non-routine tasks, you will work with staff across our teams and projects to:
- Provide support on multiple Saylor Academy channels including email, chat, social media, discussion forums, and other channels as appropriate;
- Coordinate responses to support tickets from other Saylor Academy staff, ensuring that we “close the loop” in a timely, accurate, professional manner;
- Anticipate student needs and difficulties, communicate issues to colleagues, and facilitate successful resolutions;
- Advocate for members of the Saylor Academy community;
- Help create and maintain support materials;
- Help create and promote marketing materials;
- Provide content and voice for our blog and email campaigns;
- Stay up-to-date on developments and innovations in Academy projects, most particularly those which might directly affect students;
- Clearly and consistently articulate the Academy’s image, message, and tone in all communications;
- Support the Education, Strategic Relationships, Technology, and Marketing/Communications teams in related duties.
- Outstanding customer service skills;
- Superb written and oral communication skills;
- Interest in education, education technology and online education;
- Proactive and abiding curiosity;
- Ability to work both collaboratively and independently;
- Strong time management;
- Ability to work a regular/consistent schedule to provide the support coverage;
- Readiness to learn additional tools, such as image editing, customer support, and team chat software.
- Experience in a service or support role;
- General technical/web savviness;
- Social media and/or online authorship experience;
- Experience with Google Adwords or other paid advertising;
- Experience with Google Apps (Drive and related apps including Docs, Sheets, etc.);
- Familiarity with one or more content management systems (e.g. WordPress, Blogger, etc.);
- Familiarity with using a learning management system as a student or administrator (e.g. Blackboard, Moodle, Canvas, etc.).
The Communications and Support Assistant position is part-time (up to 29 hours per week) and located at the Academy’s offices near Dupont Circle in Washington, DC.
Pay is $12.50 per hour.
- Cover letter
Please email cover letter and resume with the subject line Communications and Support Assistant to apply[email protected]