Whether you’re thinking of diving into the wild world of accounting or you just need a good handle on the basics, our 30-hour PRDV201: Accounting Principles I will help set you up to make smart economic decisions. The skills you’ll pick up look very good on a resume and also fit nicely into any businessperson’s toolkit, so taking this course probably counts as one of those wise decisions.
AP-I also joins some friends on iTunes U (collect the set!):
- PRDV001: Computer Skills and Literacy
- PRDV002: Professional Writing
- PRDV101: Job Search Skills
- PRDV102: Resume Writing
- PRDV103: Interviewing Skills
- PRDV104: Professional Etiquette
Here’s what you’ll be able to do:
- Explain the functions and importance of accounting standards and accounting data in making economic decisions for companies.
- Explain how to prepare accurate journal entries from selected transaction information, and perform this task.
- Identify different types of financial statements and analysis, and discuss the functions of each type.
- Identify the appropriate information used for each type of financial statement and distinguish reporting standards used for different types of business structures.
- Define and identify steps in the accounting cycle, accounts receivables, expenses, inventory, long-term assets, goodwill, and liabilities as well as describe the recording methods for each.
- Identify the accounting equation and calculate depreciation, bond prices, various financial ratios when provided with accounting data and/or a company’s financial statements.
- Determine financial viability based on financial ratios and identify the purpose for financial forecasting
Not on iOS? You can get to this course and the whole Professional Development program at Saylor.org, too — your call!